The CRAFT Communications Manager sits at the intersection of traditional PR, digital media, brand marketing and advocacy. You’re media agnostic and excel at turning complicated policy issues into easily communicated and persuasive messages. You’re a confident communicator, with demonstrated experience getting media attention for clients, and eager to stand on the front lines of today’s high profile policy debates, notable non-profit initiatives, and high-stakes corporate communications campaigns.
CRAFT | Media/Digital is a public affairs firm — the work we produce is a reflection of our clients’ views.
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Vice President of Public Affairs.
Summary: The Communications Manager is responsible for developing and executing client communications strategies and deliverables, cultivating media relationships, and conducting outreach for online/digital, print, trade, television, and radio.
- Conduct media outreach on behalf of clients to mainstream online, print, trade, TV, and radio.
- Draft op-eds, letters-to-the-editors, press releases, blog posts, social media and ad copy.
- Identify and execute client-pitching opportunities.
- Create communication strategies for clients in the areas of political advocacy, crisis communications, and brand reputation management.
- Turn complicated policy issues into easily-communicated and persuasive messages, and integrate into broader communications strategies.
- Prepare clients with media training before interviews and on-camera appearances.
- Organize media and video coverage, management of press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Stay ahead of, and utilize, the latest communications and technology platforms.
- Work cross-functionally to deliver exceptional communications services that leverage digital and social media tactics.
- Establish a sophisticated working knowledge of our client’s issues, culture and challenges. Maintain strong client relationships.
- Prepare and maintain client documents (e.g., SOWs, invoices), track vendor payments, and monitor accounts receivable.
- Identify business development opportunities for existing and new clients.
- Attend client meetings and lead calls.
- Additional projects as assigned by CEO, COO, and VP’s.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in journalism and/or campaign media relations, public relations, and marketing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences, tell a good story and resonate with the media.
- Extensive network of media contacts, experience and comfort pitching journalists, and organizing media events.
- Commitment to responsiveness, confidentiality, and customer service.
- Proficiency with PC and/or Apple operating systems, as well as word processing, spreadsheets, and internet browsing applications.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines.
- Execute high quality work under tight deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Professional disposition with highly polished interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment, as well as independently, and exercise sound professional judgment.
- Effectively navigate between administrative, account, and new business tasks.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 3 years of relevant work experience required. Agency experience strongly preferred.
- Required to sit for extended periods of time.
- Work performed in an open office environment. Collaboration and interruptions are common.
- Daily work performed Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Additional hours may be required on an as-needed basis.
Please submit your cover letter, resume with salary requirements, and any creative and writing samples you’d like to share, in PDF format to jobs@CRAFTdc.com.