CRAFT seeks highly motivated, resourceful individuals that are eager to stand on the front lines of today’s most contentious public affairs campaigns, high profile policy debates, notable non-profit initiatives and high-stakes corporate communications campaigns. CRAFT| Media/Digital is a public affairs, public relations, and corporate branding firm, and the work we produce is a reflection of our clients’ views.
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to CRAFT’s Executive Leadership.
Summary: The Vice President is responsible for developing and leading multi-faceted public affairs and communication strategies to effectively engage in policy debates, shape public awareness and opinion, and impact media coverage on behalf of corporate, association and nonprofit clients.
The successful Vice President thrives on tackling complex issues, developing creative solutions to difficult problems, and developing compelling messages and arguments that cut through and win.
The Vice President can move seamlessly across a mix of work that may include: state and federal legislative advocacy campaigns, industry reputation campaigns, crisis communications, ally development and coalition
building, and grassroots engagement.
The Vice President drives new business for the agency, identifying leads, activity participating in the new business process, and leading new business proposals and meetings.
The Vice President is a thought leader for CRAFT in our industry, a strong manager who identifies opportunities for team members to grow and thrive, and a catalyst for helping push CRAFT forward.
- Work with CRAFT executive leadership, Accounts, Media, Digital, and Creative teams to formulate public affairs strategies for our clients.
- Directly manage projects and clients through superior leadership and best practices and the highest quality work product including internal and external, written and verbal communication.
- Draft compelling issue narratives, messages, and supporting communications materials.
- Translate complex issues into understandable messages and arguments that resonate with key audiences and stakeholders.
- Fulfill project deliverables, monitor progress, and ensure consistency and quality of products and services for clients and accounts.
- Oversee relevant account billing and profitability. Specifically, create strategic plans for targets, revenue, and profitability goals while monitoring team success and project profitability.
- Lead service offerings and build goals for client development and new business acquisition.
- Meet agency and client deadlines, prioritize tasks, manage budgets, projects, and campaign costs.
- Write reports, keep records of practice activities, and provide presentations when requested
- Manage client service resources towards ensuring profitability
- Present proposals, creative, and various materials to clients for approval or modification
- Delegate work to Account Directors, Managers, and Executives as needed. Mentor and train junior employees on best practices and performance.
- Assist HR/Office Management staff with necessary recruitment and ongoing professional training for account staff and assist/lead performance reviews of direct reports/appropriate team members
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Qualified candidates will have:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of directly relevant public affairs experience with specific experience in issue advocacy and complex issue/reputation campaigns
- A minimum of 4-6 years of experience at a public affairs firm
- A proven track record of successfully managing public affairs clients and accounts
- Experience managing internal project teams
- Experience managing a team of junior and mid-level team members
- Experience with coalition-building, alliance development and grassroots engagement strategies
- A solid understanding of digital, traditional, and paid media
- Outstanding writing skills across a variety of formats including messaging, persuasive writing, op-eds, media materials and strategy documents
- Outstanding verbal communications and presentation skills
- Excellent client relationship management skills, and a proven ability to manage up
- A proven, self-starter mentality with a comfort level for working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines
- Ability to execute high quality work under tight deadlines with strong attention to detail
The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior experience with state and federal legislative advocacy campaigns
- Sound understanding of state and federal legislative and regulatory processes
- Experience with crisis or litigation communications
- Experience with political campaigns, ballot measures and/or superPACs
- Fluency in digital engagement strategies
- Familiarity with paid advertising and creative services
- Currently remote. (Work normally performed in an open office environment.)
- Daily work performed Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.; additional hours may be required on an as-needed basis
Please submit your cover letter and resume, with salary requirements, in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.